EXCLUSIVE: Harshvardhan Rane talks about Tara Vs Bilal; reveals John Abraham made him comfortable and shared his mobile number when he met him as a courier boy; also reveals his UNFORGETTABLE meet with Shah Rukh Khan

The dashing Harshvardhan Rane is back after a hiatus. His romantic comedy, Tara Vs Bilal, co-starring Sonia Rathee, is all set to release in cinemas on October 28. In an exclusive interview with Bollywood Hungama, the talented actor speaks about the film, his incredible struggles, meeting John Abraham and Shah Rukh Khan and a lot more.

EXCLUSIVE: Harshvardhan Rane talks about Tara Vs Bilal; reveals John Abraham made him comfortable and shared his mobile number when he met him as a courier boy; also reveals his UNFORGETTABLE meet with Shah Rukh Khan

Your fans were eagerly waiting for your film to release. And they must be overjoyed since Tara Vs Bilal is releasing next month, on October 28. What sort of reactions have you got from your fans?
More than fans, they are my employers. Jo kaam deta hai, unhe employer kehte hai. It’s thanks to them that I am getting work. Otherwise, there’s no reason I am here in front of you and giving this interview. If your first two films don’t work, then the chances of you sustaining in this industry are quite less. However, here I am today in the T-Series office promoting my film and chatting with you. It’s wholly and solely because of these people. I thank them for giving me this chance and for having faith.

You have said in several interviews before that ‘Meri English paidal thi’. In Tara Vs Bilal, we see you speaking flawlessly with a British accent. Can you tell us about your prep?
Jaise meri English paidal thiwaise honestly meri acting bhi paidal thi. If you want proof, check my South films online. Please meri gandi acting dekhiyeMujhe koi sharm nahi hai iss baat mein. Nevertheless, in every department, it is important to get better. So, I try working on my acting. When I see myself, I see a lot of scope for improvement. I also work on my physicality as well as personal growth. Similarly, I work on my English. In Taish (2020), I worked on my Punjabi accent. When it comes to Tara Vs Bilal, since my character is a UK citizen, I wanted him to give some sort of accent for authenticity.

So you mean to say that you gave that input?
Yes. I requested the makers that I want to take up classes. My producers were kind enough to hire a very expensive dialect teacher (laughs)! Unka har ghante ka jitna bill banta tha, yeh dekh ke kaafi bura lagta tha. But honestly, this is one of the many attempts I do to look and sound different as I feel it’ll leave a good impression on the viewers.

There’s a dialogue in the film, ‘Shaadi ke sherwani mein bahut handsome lagunga’. Did you feel apprehensive about this dialogue since now the media and your fans will further question you about your marriage plans?
(laughs) I believe the most courageous people in India are those who are able to do both, marry and handle their career well. Shaadi karna bhi theek hai. Lekin shaadi ke saath career ko iss graph pe leke jaana himmat wala kaam hai. I wonder how people manage. Karna toh duur ki baat hai. Main toh dekh ke hi ghabra jaata hoon. I don’t subscribe to the thought process that shaadi kar lo aur bhool gaye. Bas chal raha hai ghar. I feel that if you have married someone, then you should give all the focus to your spouse. And I see some people do it very well and also excel in their careers. It astounds me. After all, how much energy can one have? That’s why many people of the older generation suggest, ‘Jab settle ho jaao, tab (shaadikarna’. So had I been settled by now, I might have thought of marriage. But main duur duur tak settle nahi hoon (laughs). Hence, I feel that I should do my ‘karam’ and then maybe, I’ll be interested.

Nevertheless, my acting talent gets proven if you feel I was able to convincingly say that dialogue. This is because I hate wearing sherwani. During the struggling days, I have worn sherwanis at events to earn money. Personally, I don’t like it as it’s quite stifling to wear. It’s also suffocating because of its design.

You have revealed that in Delhi, you had worked in an STD Booth and a cyber café. Where did you first work and what was your first earning?
So, I had run away to Delhi from Gwalior with Rs. 200 in my pocket. I got Rs. 100 from my family. The balance of 100 bucks was given to me by Rajiv bhaiya from our colony. I used to play cricket with him. I decided to escape to Delhi as that was the closest metro city. And the cheapest ticket was also for Delhi. I remember it cost Rs. 74. Meanwhile, I knew that one of the friends I used to play with in my area stayed in Malviya Nagar Extension. I also knew the name of his building. I landed up at his place. He was shocked and scolded me. Then he laughed at me! He told me, ‘Bachpan se hum dekh rahe the ki tu pagal hai aur aaj tune prove kar diya’. He then took me home and fed me chole chawal. I can’t forget the taste of that food as I was really hungry.

Near his house, there was a hostel with a mess. The rent of these rooms was Rs. 2000. I used to sleep in the mess kitchen with the boys who used to work there. They asked me to work. I used to lift the plates from the tables and take them into the kitchen. I don’t know the position of that work. I was not exactly a waiter. In return, they gave me one meal a day. They didn’t pay.

This was around 2001-02. Very few people used mobile phones. There was an STD booth just outside the mess where I got work. I was told to sit at the counter and make entry into the register. I was supposed to mention the name of the customer, the number on which the customer called, the duration of the call, the total bill, the amount he/she paid and the change we gave. This was as per the government rule which came into effect after the 9/11 attacks. I used to be paid Rs. 10 per day. That was my first earning.

My handwriting was good. A resident, Rajesh bhaiya, liked it and asked me to work in his cyber café. He gave me a 100% hike as he promised to pay Rs. 20 per day! The offer was great but I asked the STD booth owner if I can work at the café. He was very happy and allowed me to go ahead. So I was doing such odd jobs. Later, I became a courier person and that’s how I met John Abraham.

EXCLUSIVE: Harshvardhan Rane talks about Tara Vs Bilal; reveals John Abraham made him comfortable and shared his mobile number when he met him as a courier boy; also reveals his UNFORGETTABLE meet with Shah Rukh Khan

Are you still in touch with Rajeev bhaiya and Rajesh bhaiya?
I am in touch with everyone! I make sure that they watch the work which I do. They still talk to me in the same way as they used to do when I had just come to Delhi. It helps me be grounded. If they don’t like my work, they tell me honestly. I invited them for the shoot of Haseen Dillruba (2021). I felt really good that they visited me on the sets.

What exactly was your work when you delivered the Yamaha helmet to John Abraham?
I was a courier boy. I have done too many such jobs. In Hyderabad, I painted a restaurant. I indulged in carpentry. The idea was to earn money so that I can buy basic stuff. It was a time when people used to hand me their motorcycles and ask me to deliver. In no time, I became the courier.

How was it to meet John Abraham then?
It was a life-defining moment if you ask me. I was told to deliver a Yamaha box to Hyatt Regency, Delhi as soon as possible. In return, they promised to give me Rs. 30. Her manager at that time was Shurti. She told me, ‘Mr John Abraham has asked you to wait’. This is when I learnt that the box is for John Abraham. I was wondering why does he want to meet me. Is the helmet damaged? 30 minutes later, John sir met me. His hair was long as he was shooting for Garam Masala (2005). He asked my name and what do I do. He then thanked me for the helmet since he wasn’t getting it anywhere. I had a lot of pimples on my face. I had put oil in my hair, I was shabbily dressed and I was sweating. So, I was feeling awkward. I was apprehensive standing close to him. But he made me comfortable. He invited me to the event for which he had flown to Delhi. He even gave me his mobile number.

I was so embarrassed that I used to message him only once, on his birthday. At times, he would reply with an emoji. And sometimes, he just won’t reply and then I would wait for his next birthday! Later, when I started working in the South, I met him again. He felt very proud to see that the guy who he had worked in the capacity of courier boy is now working in films.

Even today, I haven’t got the guts to call him on his number for a random, casual conversation. That moment changed a lot of things in my life. It taught me what humility is.

Tara Vs Bilal is not your first film with JA Entertainment. You had previously worked with him in Satra Ko Shaadi Hai. What happened to that film?
It was a time when I was working down South. I got a call that it’s a two-hero film and that Barun Sobti is the lead. I had a small part. Sapna Pabbi was the female lead. When articles came after the launch of the film, my name was not even mentioned (laughs). Nevertheless, I was excited. Sadly, UTV, one of the producers, shut down that year. There were 18 other films, which were on floors, and whose shoot was abruptly cancelled.

EXCLUSIVE Harshvardhan Rane talks about Tara Vs Bilal; reveals John Abraham made him comfortable and shared his mobile number when he met him as a courier boy; also reveals his UNFORGETTABLE meet with Shah Rukh Khan

Do you think that there’s a chance we’ll get a chance to see Satra Ko Shaadi Hai ever?
I don’t think so as the shoot never got completed.

Can you tell us about your forthcoming films?
I am doing The Miranda Brothers, Sanjay Gupta ji’s film. Milap Zaveri has written the dialogues. Then I am a part of Bejoy Nambiar’s Dange. I am reuniting with him after Taish (2020). And I want to say this in my interview that log bahut pareshan hote hai mere liye ki aur bolte hai ki ‘aapko kaam nahi mil raha hai aur aap jungle mein ghoomte rehte ho’! I want to tell them that please trust the process. I also want to thank T-Series and JA Entertainment. My well-wishers should appreciate them for giving work to people like me. Accha kaam dhoondne mein thoda waqt lag jaata hai. Hence, I request them to appreciate them instead of abusing the whole system. Let’s focus on goodness also.

Is the shoot of both The Miranda Brothers and Dange over?
The shoot of Dange is going on. The filming of The Miranda Brothers is done.

So can we say that you’ll have 3 releases in the next 1 or 1 ½ years?
Yes.

What’s the status of Ambush?
I am waiting for writer-director Nilesh Sahay’s go ahead. I have never met a guy who’s so crazy about action. He writes every day of his life. And then he rewrites. I am really looking forward to begin work on this film. Whenever Nilesh sir calls me, I’ll jump into it straight away.

You also have a Shah Rukh Khan connection. You said that you signed the TV show ‘Left Right Left’ as it reminded you of SRK’s ‘Fauji’. When you declined negative roles down South, you were given example of how Shah Rukh worked in films like Darr (1993)…
(Smiles) Yes, I had joined ‘Left Right Left’ for the simple reason that Shah Rukh also started with a military-based TV show, ‘Fauji’. I even joined Barry John’s acting school, assuming that mera aur Shah Rukh sir ka kuch na kuch common hoga toh accha ho jaayega! So, I had all these stupid and silly thoughts. That time, you are so vulnerable that you fall for anything. It’s like you using a product which is being endorsed by your favourite actor. You feel a connection with the star by doing so. Similarly, I felt that connection with him.

As for negative roles, I couldn’t follow that. Down South, I didn’t do any negative roles. I was one of the rare actors from North jo wahan positive roles kar ke aa gaya! Usually, they call actors from North aur filmon mein unki kutaai hoti hai (laughs)! I was not okay with that. I was clear that I’ll do carpentry, paint restaurants etc. I’ll somehow survive but I was not ready to get bashed up by South heroes.

Have you ever met Shah Rukh Khan?
Yes, I have. He was so generous. This was a time when I had bagged Paltan (2018). I don’t know how he found out about it. He told me, ‘Idhar aa. Give me a hug’. He then said, ‘Kya baat hai. Tujhe ek aur picture mil gayi. Congratulations’! I was amazed that such a big star, who is busy with so much work, is showing interest in a small actor like me and even keeping a tab on my work! These are those moments that give me the courage and strength to stay here. I wish that I can create these moments for other people also. When I meet people, my only wish is that I can also have a positive effect on their life in any way. So I try doing that through my work and social media. I hope Tara vs Bilal has a slight impact on people.

Also Read: EXCLUSIVE: Harshvardhan Rane reveals an actor who’s “as attractive as Hrithik Roshan” was signed for Sanam Teri Kasam and how he ‘stole’ the role from him



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/omG8uDv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cannes 2023: Mouni Roy packs drama and glitz as she makes her red carpet debut in a silver feather gown with a side of sparkle

The legendary French Riviera is ablaze with anticipation as the captivating Mouni Roy makes her highly awaited debut at the renowned Cannes ...